Starting a long-distance relationship can be fun and exciting. And this is your opportunity to get it right from the beginning. Once you understand what a long-distance relationship is, you can decide if it’s for you or not.
If you want to start your long-distance relationship the right way, here are some tips:
- Before you start looking for a partner, ask yourself what do you want from this relationship.
- Knowing what you’re looking for in a partner will make it easier for you to choose the right one.
- Understand your own values beliefs and preferences.
- Make it clear for yourself what is it that you want to achieve at the end of this long-distance relationship.
- Are you looking for a friend, a casual relationship, a fling, or maybe you Want a more serious relationship and maybe marriage.
- Consider the cost of travelling to see your special someone.
- If you decide to live together who is going to move.
If you are starting a new long-distance relationship, I’m glad you’ve come across this article. A lot of couples find themselves struggling in a long-distance relationship. By the time they start looking for help already have many issues that they could’ve avoided.
A long-distance relationship can easily turn into a struggle with misunderstandings, fights, and negative emotions. But it doesn’t have to be this way. Even if you need to be a part for some time, you can still have a loving relationship with trust and understanding.
To do that you should know what long-distance relationships are and what they aren’t. Once you know what they are you will be able to handle them the right way. And realising what long-distance relationships are not will help you avoid disappointment from false expectations.
I hope that things you’ll learn today will help you start a healthy long-distance relationship with the person that shares your values and beliefs. To do that, let’s understand what a long-distance relationship is and what it isn’t.
What is a long-distance relationship?
A long-distance relationship is a period in a romantic relationship when a couple is physically separated by geographical distance. Many couples see their long-distance relationship as a struggle, something that is inherently hard. And when you look at it as hardship, that’s how it will be.
While long-distance relationships can indeed be hard, they don’t have to be. Every couple has an opportunity to make them work.
Long-distance relationships are different from regular relationships. The obvious difference is that you cannot have a physical closeness for the time you are apart. Another big difference is the way you communicate. A lot of communication happens through body language. When you’re talking to a person in front of you you can look them in the eyes see their posture and see their behaviour.
There’s a certain feeling you get, almost intuitive when you see somebody asking your question or responding to your questions. This feeling helps you decide how your conversation is going and direct your conversation one way or the other.
In a long-distance relationship, most communication is online. And while you can see the person during your video calls you don’t have the same feeling as when you do having them in front of you.
We’ll talk more about communication in the long-distance relationship in a different article. The main takeaway is that starting a long-distance relationship online is different from meeting somebody in real life. In some aspects, it can be better but in others, it can be more challenging.
Is it worth starting a long-distance relationship?
Starting a long-distance relationship can be exciting and fun, but it also has its challenges. To decide if a long-distance relationship is worth it let’s have a look at some advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of a long-distance relationship:
- The world is your oyster. You can find someone close to home or in the other part of the world.
- If you connect to someone from a different culture, you can start a relationship with them.
- Online dating sites and apps let you filter by specific criteria.
- If you have certain values, beliefs, and interests, you can identify if your special someone shares them early on.
- You don’t have to respond straight away to their questions and can take the time you need to ask your own.
- You can also use it as an opportunity to travel and potentially move to a different country.
- You get a lot of time and space to focus on your personal goals and achievements.
- Even though you may not see each other every day, when you do, it’s all the more special.
- A long-distance relationship could be one of the few ways you avoid taking each other for granted.
Disadvantages of a long-distance relationship:
- Meeting someone online can be misleading.
- If people look for a relationship online, you need to know why. Can they not find someone nearby, or are they trying to run away from something?
- Lack of physical intimacy. Some people need to be close to their partner more than others, so for them being apart is a lot harder. This may also lead to cheating.
- Visiting each other can be expensive. And if you don’t have the money or the time to travel as much as you’d like, it will be a problem.
- Communication in a long-distance relationship is different from the regular one. You can only express yourself verbally, which can be limiting.
- Misunderstandings are easy to arise and hard to solve.
- Feeling deprived of physical closeness can lead to jealousy and distrust.
Getting to know a new person is exciting, just remember to enjoy more and worry less.
Before starting a long-distance relationship
Before starting a long-distance relationship you should prepare for it:
- Understand yourself and what you want from your life, your partner, and your relationship.
- Find the person who shares your values and beliefs.
- Talk to them to see if they want the same things as you from the relationship.
To help you get started with your long-distance relationship, let’s have at some things you can talk about and questions you should discuss with your potential partner.
How to talk about starting a long-distance relationship?
When you talk about starting a long-distance relationship with someone you like, you should be as honest and authentic as possible. Trust is the foundation of a healthy long-distance relationship. It’s normal to have doubts, but you should be able to discuss them freely with your partner. Talk about the best way for you to communicate.
To make your long-distance relationship work you should know how to manage your hopes and expectations. For your long-distance relationship to be successful, you have to set specific goals and make a plan with a timeline.
How to bring up starting a long-distance relationship
While your feelings are the only thing that matters when you just meet someone, there are things you can do to before starting a long-distance relationship:
- Get clear about what you are feeling exactly (excitement, physical attraction, intellectual interest, etc.).
- Share your feelings openly and honestly with your special someone.
- Ask them how they are feeling.
- Don’t expect them to tell you what you want to hear.
- Be ok with everything they say.
- Express what you want from this relationship (a long-distance fling, an open relationship, a friendship or start a romantic relationship).
- Ask what they want.
- You may find that both of you want the same thing which is great.
- Don’t be afraid of a little disappointment or sadness if it will not be the case.
- Honesty is more important than disappointment.
- Learn how the other person feels about you and try to be ok with everything.
It’s important to acknowledge your feelings, be it sadness or joy.
The only way to know if it’s worth starting a long-distance relationship is by getting to know each other. If you find you have a lot in common, and your goals and values align, why not give it a go. There’s always a chance you will discover a platonic friend that you can go visit for a holiday.
Talking about your feelings is a great way to begin a healthy relationship.
This book, Emotions Revealed by Paul Ekman will help you better understand your feelings and emotions. As well as teach you to recognise the emotions of your partner. So you can create a loving relationship from the very beginning.
How to prepare for a long-distance relationship
You’ve met someone special and now you are facing a long-distance relationship. You must have heard how hard and heartbreaking it can be. And now you worry if and how you’ll be able to make it work. If that’s you, then I’m going to put your mind at ease.
Starting a long-distance relationship isn’t hard or difficult, it’s exciting and adventurous. In fact, in many ways, getting to know someone long-distance is much better than face to face.
Let me explain…
When you meet someone who lives in your area, one of the first things you want to explore is physical intimacy. Some apps are even catering for that aspect alone. When starting a relationship with a person who lives in a different city, country, or continent, physical intimacy isn’t an option until you start visiting each other. How often you can visit each other depends on your means and circumstances.
A cool Q&A journal will make getting to know each other more fun.
If you are starting a new long-distance relationship, one question a day will give you a direction while getting to know each other better. For couples who were together before the long-distance, it’s a nice refresher. I guarantee you will learn some new things about yourself and each other.
Things to consider before starting a long-distance relationship
If you are starting a long-distance relationship consider what type of relationship you’re looking for, who would be your perfect partner how long your long-distance relationship will last, are you willing to move if you decide to live together?
What can you do before starting a long-distance relationship?
So, you’ve met a special someone and talked about your feelings and intentions. By being open and honest with each other, you are building a strong foundation for your relationship. Let’s say your feelings are mutual and you want to have a relationship. But can you make it work long-distance and how long can you make it last?
A lot of couples find it hard to be separated for a long period. To get ahead in your relationship, discuss with your special someone how important physical intimacy is for each of you. If one of you needs it more than the other, then being exclusive will be more difficult for that person. Think of some ideas of where and how often it would be fun to meet. Talk about how you would like it to be in the ideal world.
Before starting a long-distance relationship, have fun and be creative.
Sometimes having something tangible that connects you in some way can mean a lot. You can always get creative and come up with something like this by yourself. That’ll make it even more special.
Why Start a Long-Distance Relationship?
Starting a long-distance relationship allows you to connect with another person across the world. But without seeing their body language or being able to touch them, its harder to assess your relationship.
That’s why getting to know someone long-distance can be challenging. That said, a long-distance relationship has its perks. For example, you can take your time to think about the questions you want to ask and the answers you want to give.
Things to know before starting a long-distance relationship
Here are 5 things you should know before starting a long-distance relationship:
1. If you haven’t met or lived together, you are going to idealise your partner.
A physical gap in a long-distance relationship leaves plenty of room for imagination. This means that without knowing it, you create things in your head that aren’t real. This can mask the sadness caused by the lack of physical interaction. But it’ll make it harder to manage your relationship if you decide to move in together.
2. Long-distance relationships work for the right people and the right reasons.
Long-distance relationships are great for getting to know someone. They suit people who like romance and adventure. Travelling the world together is ideal for some couples. A long-distance relationship can also work for a married couple who is relocating. But in this case, it’s important to keep the transition short and sweet.
3. Long-distance relationships can be hard, but people make it even harder.
Sometimes, a long-distance relationship can bring more sadness than joy into people’s lives. Some couples still choose to continue their relationship, despite feeling miserable every day. If a long-distance relationship isn’t for you, it will be hard.
4. A long-distance relationship is for some and not for others.
Every person needs a physical connection. However, some people need it more than others. Physical absence might be ok for some people. And for others, physical presence is necessary to feel connected.
5. Forcing a long-distance relationship to work is a waste of your life.
Couples start long-distance relationships to feel an emotional connection. But there’s also an expectation of physical affection. If for some reason a couple can’t close the distance, the need for physical closeness isn’t met. This can leave them feeling sad and frustrated.
When you know what to expect you can prepare for it…
Things to talk about before starting a long-distance relationship
You should talk about these 3 common problems when starting a long-distance relationship:
- Lack of physical affection
- Communication without the physical presence
- Absence of shared experiences
Lack of physical affection
In a romantic relationship, you expect physical affection. In a monogamous long-distance relationship physical affection isn’t there. While it’s ok for short while, after some time you will start feeling deprived. In a couple, one person usually feels it sooner than the other, so you must talk about it.
Communication without the physical presence
A big chunk of our communication relies on physical interaction. When people are next to each other, their feelings and intentions are more obvious. Body cues like postures and gestures help people understand each other better. In a long-distance relationship, you rely on speaking and texting. This can make it harder for you to understand each other. But there’s a positive thing about starting a relationship online.
When starting a relationship, you have to respond quickly to what the person is saying. If you feel rushed, you might jump to false conclusions. In a long-distance relationship, you have the time to ask the right questions and think of the best answers. Here’s an article to help you learn effective communication in a long-distance relationship.
Shared experience helps us feel an emotional connection. And physical closeness makes our experiences more vivid. When your loved one is miles away, you don’t get to experience your romantic relationship to its fullest. Other problems that a couple faces in a long-distance relationship are the same as in any other relationship. Things like trust, jealousy, honesty, understanding, finance, and fading feelings.
In any relationship, from online dating to marriage, these things need care and attention. If you are prone to depression or anxiety, it’s more challenging to maintain a romantic relationship with a person you can’t touch. So if you decide to end your long-distance relationships, does it mean it fails?
Questions to ask before starting a long-distance relationship
Here are some questions you should ask yourself and your partner before starting your long-distance relationship:
- Are you having strong feelings for this person?
- Are you excited to get to know them better?
- Does this person bring love into your life?
- Are you prepared to be in a long-distance relationship until you move in together?
- How long are you expecting your long-distance relationship to last?
- How and how often do you prefer to keep in touch?
- Do you have the means to visit each other and how often?
- Do you have the money to move in together when the time comes?
How to start a long-distance relationship?
Follow these steps on how to start your long-distance relationship the right way and give your long-distance relationship the best chance of working out:
- Set your personal and relationship goals
- Make a plan to achieve these goals
- Understand what is a long-distance relationship and what it involves
- Set realistic expectations
- Only make promises you know you can keep and will be happy to do so
- Write down your reasons for being committed to this long-distance relationship
- Discuss common problems of being in a long-distance relationship and how you will handle them
Here are some more points for you to consider:
- Keep in touch with your feelings and how they change as your situation develops
- Ask yourself if a long-distance relationship is for you
- Make a plan of how your long-distance relationship is going to work
- Assess your expectations from this long-distance relationship
- Ask your partner how they feel about a long-distance relationship
- Ask your partner about their expectations from your long-distance relationship
- Set the boundaries for your communication
- Agree on who is going to visit and how often
- Agree on how long your-long-distance phase will last
- Talk about moving-in after a long-distance when both of you are ready
- Before starting a long-distance relationship, consider your expectations.
- What are you trying to achieve?
- Do you want a fling or are you looking for a life partner to build a family with?
- That said, be mindful of making plans, creating different scenarios, and worrying about it not working out.
- Before you know it, you start living in the future.
- Get to know each other first, enjoy the present experience.
As your relationship develops, your feelings will change. If you stay in touch with your feelings, you will know what to do as your relationship develops. For now, note how you feel and have fun with this new adventure. Worrying about the future takes you away from enjoying the present.
The only thing you need to consider when starting a long-distance relationship with someone you just met is how you feel about this person.
Once you know what to expect, you can prepare for it.
So, let’s get you ready to start a new long-distance relationship the right way…
Stages of a long-distance relationship
When you know what to expect from a long-distance relationship, you can prepare for it.
Here are 7 stages you’ll go through in your long-distance relationship:
- Starting a long-distance relationship
- Getting to know each other in a long-distance relationship
- Making your long-distance relationship work
- Moving in together after a long-distance relationship
- Living together after a long-distance relationship
- Marriage after a long-distance relationship
- Ending your long-distance relationship
Take a closer look at what they involve in this article.
Setting goals when you start a long-distance relationship
Once you know what is a long-distance relationship and what it involves, you can prepare for it by setting goals and making a plan.
Before you set relationship goals as a couple, you need to be very clear on your personal goals. When you’re in a relationship, it’s easy to lose yourself to the relationship and forget what’s important for you personally.
Both you and your partner are individuals. Each of you has your own values beliefs and preferences. You must remember what they are. You should always remember what’s important for you, so you can take care of yourself. When both partners can take care of themselves, only then they can create a healthy and successful relationship.
Some people look for relationships that can help them in the ways that they should be able to help themselves. This creates an inherent expectation from another person to fulfil your needs. Expectations create pressure and pressure creates tension. Tension strains the relationship and gets in the way of harmony.
Expectations when starting a long-distance relationship
When you know what to expect from a long-distance relationship, you can prepare for it. Expecting a complete romantic relationship without physical intimacy is like expecting to drive a car without the fuel. You can only push it so far before you get tired. And it’s also hard work.
For ideas on how to get to know each other in a long-distance relationship, check out this article.
A long-distance relationship is not a complete romantic relationship. A friendship, for example, can be great when you live in different parts of the world. You can even visit each other and have an amazing holiday. A romantic relationship involves physical intimacy. People expect a long-distance relationship to be just like a normal one, which is a mistake. Physical closeness is an essential part of a romantic relationship.
Gifts, bracelets, presents, apps, and virtual dates will not replace that. A popular opinion is that a long-distance relationship is hard. It has this reputation because people make it into something that it’s not.
What are your expectations from a long-distance relationship?
Reasonable expectations in a long-distance relationship
When you are setting goals and talking about expectations in your long-distance relationship, make sure they are reasonable. When you have feelings for someone but can’t be together for some time, you will start wishing for things and making plans that you’d like to have but that is beyond the scope of what you can do.
Expectation vs reality in long-distance relationships
People expect a long-distance relationship to be just like a normal one, which impossible and it’s a mistake. In a long-distance relationship, you are deprived of physical closeness, an essential part of a romantic relationship. Assess your expectations from this long-distance relationship Ask your partner about their expectations from your long-distance relationship
In other articles, we look at the stages of going from starting a long-distance relationship to moving in. I’ll show the common problems you as a couple might face when getting to know each other long distance.
Setting realistic expectations in a long-distance relationship
Let me share with you some points you should consider when setting realistic expectations in a long-distance relationship:
- Until you meet, you won’t know what it’s like being with this person
- As long as your relationship is long-distance, physical intimacy will be limited
- You will need the time and money to visit each other and move in together when it comes to it
Promises when starting a long-distance relationship
When you are starting a long-distance relationship it’s easy to make lots of promises. While some promises will keep you on track to build a healthy and successful long-distance relationship, others can create unnecessary pressure and turn your long-distance relationship into a struggle.
Promises to make when starting a long-distance relationship:
- Always be honest
- Consider each other with every decision
- Respect each other no matter what
Promises to avoid when starting a long-distance relationship:
- Saying you will always feel the same way about each other
- Promise to see each other every week
- Talk everyday
Making promises is different to making a plan. You can adjust a plan when things change. But you will have to break a promise if it will be out of your hands.
If you feel that your relationship is getting serious – seal it with a long-distance relationship promise ring. It’s a tangible way to stay emotionally connected. Just make sure to make the promises you know you can keep.
It will give you the freedom to acknowledge and share your feelings as they change, instead of being stuck, tied to the expectation of doing something that you don’t want to or don’t feel like.
Commitment when starting a long-distance relationship
Here are some things that are healthy to commit to when starting a long-distance relationship:
- Commit to telling the truth, no matter how hard it is
- Commit to sharing your doubts and feelings and be there to hear your partner’s
- Commit to setting realistic goals that are practically obtainable
- Commit to making a plan to achieve your personal goals and your goals as a couple
Questions to ask when starting a long-distance relationship
If you’re ever feeling a bit lost, give these questions a try and see if they help:
- How are you feeling about having a long-distance relationship?
- How does your partner feel about having a long-distance relationship?
- What do both of you want and expect from this long-distance relationship?
- Do you want long-distance friendship, casual relationship, or something serious?
- How often does each of you like to be physically intimate?
- Are you ok with a long-distance relationship to last a few months while you get to know each other?
If you are having positive feelings, you are on the right track. If not, take a moment to reassess. Just be mindful to distinguish temporary emotions from your deeper ‘gut’ feelings.
Here’s a very popular conversation starters card game. It’s a fun way to talk about questions that you might find tricky or awkward to bring up by yourself. Playing with physical cards while on a phone or a video chat will bring something tangible in your long-distance relationship.
Starting a long-distance relationship online
Starting an online long-distance relationship can be a lot of fun. But it’s also a crucial stage in your relationship where you have to keep a few things in mind, like the ones we discussed earlier.
How to start a long-distance relationship online:
- Be honest and open-minded about your intentions from the beginning.
- Find out if you want the same things.
- Be honest about your feelings and share them with your partner.
- Express yourself in a way that your special someone can understand.
Many couples approach an online long-distance relationship as they would a normal relationship. They expect romance and physical affection. And they see the distance as an inconvenience. But, what’s a romantic relationship without physical intimacy? It’s a friendship. A friendship over a long-distance can work very well.
But an online long-distance romantic relationship is only healthy for a short while. As people, we need a physical presence and physical touch to feel connected. In an online long-distance relationship, it’s hard to maintain this emotional connection for a long time without seeing each other.
Couples compensate by spending more time talking on the phone or via the texts. This leads to excessive communication, which can be damaging to your personal lives. But no amount of phone conversations can fulfil the need for physical closeness. An online long-distance relationship is an incomplete romantic relationship.
If you hide your thoughts and feelings in the beginning, when will you be ready to share them?
Give this relationship a chance. If you agree on what you want from this relationship, brainstorm fun ideas on how it will work.
This couple’s journal if a great way to bring life and creativity into your relationship.
Starting a long-distance relationship with someone you just met
You just met someone special. This someone touches you in all the right ways. You would love to get to know them better, but there’s a catch… They live miles away. As special as they are, you inevitably start having doubts.
Here is how you can start a long-distance relationship with someone you just met:
- Check that you feel the same way
- Talk to see if both of you are interested in the same kind of relationship
- Are you happy to be in a long-distance relationship for some time?
- If you have romantic feelings, do you see a way to be physically together?
A few more points on starting a long-distance relationship with someone you just met:
- Recognise the fun part of being in a relationship
- When you met, you must’ve had fun.
- You enjoyed each other’s company.
- See things for what they are.
- Share how you feel about each other and your relationship
- Tell them what you enjoyed about their company and ask how they feel about you.
- It’s good to know if your feelings are mutual.
- Share how each of you sees your relationship
- Maybe you’ve had a fun time and are ready to move on.
- But you may have stronger feelings, which you would like to explore.
- Just check in to see that you are on the same page.
- Decide what you want from your relationship
- If you are on the same page, start exploring your relationship.
- And if it has to be long-distance, to begin with, that’s ok.
You’ve met someone special and now you are considering to have a relationship with them. And if it has to be long-distance, to begin with, that’s ok. They don’t live close to you, so you are worried if this relationship can work at all.
You might be asking yourself if this relationship has a future because of the distance and is it even worth considering? Starting a long-distance relationship with someone you just met is exciting and can be a lot of fun. You find them special and hopefully they feel the same way.
It’s natural to have questions about whether this relationship can work and how long it can last. When something looks difficult and you don’t know what to do it’s normal to have doubts. But if you feel a connection with someone, you should embrace it with all its entirety. Don’t let the distance get in the way of your happiness.
This article is about getting to know someone you just met who lives far away. Here we look at a long-distance relationship as a phase in a romantic relationship. A long-distance relationship isn’t a real relationship, but it’s an opportunity to learn about each other’s personalities, values, and beliefs.
Starting a long-distance relationship with a friend
Long-distance friendship can last a long time, but when you have a romantic relationship, you need a plan to move in together. Of course, having friends are great for various reasons. But if you need a friend to talk about your partner and your relationship because you can’t talk to them directly, that could mean something’s not quite right with your relationship.
Here are the steps for starting a romantic long-distance relationship with a friend:
- Share your true feelings with your friend
- Ask how they feel about you
- If both of you feel the same, make a plan to see each other to check if you feel right being a couple
- Agree that no matter what, you will still be friends
Trust is the foundation of friendship. A romantic relationship is friendship with physical intimacy. It’s important that you express how you feel to your friend. And if they don’t feel the same, that’s ok. But if they can also see the two of you being together romantically, then give it a go.
As long as you always remain honest and upfront with your feelings, you’ll find your way to have a healthy and happy relationship. Maybe it will be a passionate romantic relationship or it can be a beautiful friendship.
Being friends with someone means you already have a relationship.
So what you might be asking yourself is: do your feelings have a romantic nature. It’s normal to be afraid to bring up the possibility of a long-distance romantic relationship. Because it may destroy your friendship. But you owe it to yourself to acknowledge how you feel.
It’s fine to share your feelings with your friend. They might feel the same but are worried about bringing it up. And if they don’t feel the same, that’s also ok, as long as you don’t feel rejected. Everyone has the right to have their own feelings and if they have someone to share them with, that’s a true friendship.
Starting a long-distance relationship in college
Many young couples start their long-distance relationships because of college. Long-distance relationships can be challenging. And going to college means meeting new people going to parties making friends and possibly having relationships. Having a long-distance relationship while in college can keep you from exploring this new and exciting world.
Before you start a long-distance relationship in college, consider this:
- Talk to each other openly and honestly
- Decide if you want to stay together in a long-distance relationship for a few years
- If you don’t see it working, take a break.
- If you decide to try and make it work, make a plan
- Agree on how often you will talk to each other and see each other
- Consider an open long-distance relationship while in college
Teenagers and people in their early 20s can find themselves in a long-distance relationship when they go to college university there is far away from their home. Colleges and universities are places full of opportunities to meet new people and socialise. For younger people, it’s also an opportunity to explore themselves and grow as individuals.
To grow as a person you need to say yes to some things and know to others. If you have an opportunity to mix with different people from different cultures, it opens your eyes to different norms, values, and beliefs.
In a long-distance relationship, you have to restrain yourself from experiencing new things and embracing these opportunities. After some time your relationship will feel like a burden. You’re not going to be happy about having to hold yourself back all the time. You will find yourself being constantly torn between spending time with your partner who is in there and this new world of new experiences right in front of you.
A long-distance relationship is a romantic relationship where you are physically apart. It’s important not to confuse it with a real romantic relationship in which physical intimacy isn’t restricted by the distance.
A long-distance is a phase in a relationship. If you live in different places, for some time you will be apart. Physical intimacy will be a luxury, reserved for special visits. During this time there’s a lot you can learn about each other. You don’t need to suffer the distance while wishing to be together. Use the time apart to get to know each other. If you like what you learn, when you are ready, make a plan to take the next step. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that if both of you decide that you are ready to move-in, you can do it.
Starting a long-distance relationship with someone you just met can be fun and exciting. It’s an opportunity to make a new friend or to build a long-term romantic relationship. In this article, we’ve covered the most important aspects to consider before starting a relationship. Remember, a long-distance relationship is not a complete relationship. It’s a period when your relationship will have limited physical intimacy. It has its challenges, but don’t worry, I will guide you through them in a different article.
Starting a long-distance relationship can be a lot of fun. It allows you to connect with another person across the world or keep in touch with your existing partner. Is it easy? No more than any other relationship. Is it difficult? Only if you don’t know what you are getting yourself into.
In this article, we’ve seen how distance can affect a relationship. Now you are ready to start your long-distance relationship with your head high. Of course, there will be challenges, but keep an eye on how you feel and work on that communication. To help you out along the way, here’s an article on how you can make your long-distance relationship work.
Starting a long-distance relationship is different from starting a relationship face to face. The biggest difference is the lack of physical intimacy. When you start a new long-distance relationship it’s normal to have doubts. After all, you are having strong feelings for someone and you want your relationship to work out.
Don’t let the distance stop you from trying to have a relationship with a special someone.
Getting Some Help
I hope this article answered some of your questions.
If you need individual help, get in touch to receive a FREE personalised response.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you start a long-distance relationship?
You can start a long-distance relationship with someone you’ve met online or in real life. To make it successful you should plan to visit each other frequently and have an end date for your long-distance relationship. Learn more
How to start a long-distance relationship?
Here are 3 things you should consider when starting a long-distance relationship:
1. Enjoy this experience and have fun.
2. Get to know each other’s interests, values, and beliefs.
3. Don’t make it last longer than it needs.
What to consider before starting a long-distance relationship?
It’s too easy to get bogged down into what is and is not possible. Worrying about the future takes you away from enjoying the present. As your relationship develops, you’re feeling will change. If you stay in touch with your feelings, you will know what to do as your relationship develops. For now, take note of how you feel and have fun with this new adventure. The main thing you need to consider when starting a long-distance relationship with someone you just met, is how you feel about this person. To help you with all the above check out the article on effective communication. Learn more
What to know before starting a long-distance relationship?
If you live in different places, for some time you will be apart. And the reality is that physical intimacy will be a luxury, reserved for special visits. The distance has its nuances, but you can use it to your advantage. You just need to know how to do it. The good part is that there is a lot you learn about each other in the meantime. How long the long-distance phase will last, is up to you. You don’t need to suffer being apart and wishing to be together. Use the time apart to get to know each other. If you like what you learn, when you are ready, make a plan to take the next step. Learn more
Is it worth starting a long-distance relationship?
If you like the person and the feeling is mutual, then starting a relationship is definitely worth it. Your relationship may develop into a friendship or you might have a family and grow old together. Learn more
Can online long-distance relationships work?
To make your romantic long-distance relationship work you should know how long it will last. It can work for a few months without any issue but making it a long-term long-distance relationship won’t work. Instead, it will likely become a struggle and will make your life harder. Learn more
How do you start a long-distance relationship?
• Get to know each other
• Share your feelings
• Decide if you want the same things
• Make a plan to move in together
Is a long-distance relationship worth it?
If you like the person and the feeling is mutual, then starting a relationship is worth it. Your relationship may develop into a friendship or you might have a family and grow old together. Don’t let the distance stop you from trying. Learn more
Should you start a long-distance relationship?
Starting a long-distance relationship can be exciting and fun, but it also has its challenges. If you have feelings for someone who lives far away, then you should give it a go. Learn more
What to do before starting a long-distance relationship?
Before starting a long-distance relationship consider what it involves and decide if it’s for you. Learn more
Is it worth starting a long-distance relationship?
Look at some advantages and disadvantages to see if it’s worth starting. Learn more
What should I know before starting a long-distance relationship?
Before starting a long-distance relationship you should know what it is and what it’s like to be in one. Learn more
How to talk about starting a long-distance relationship?
Express your feelings and intentions to the person you like. Ask if they feel the same and if they want the same thing from this long-distance relationship. Learn more
Can friendship become a relationship?
A long-distance friendship can last for a long time. But if you become romantic partners, you should make a plan to move in together at some point. Learn more
When you know how to make a long-distance relationship work the right way, you can make it fun and exciting. If you don’t know how to handle your long-distance relationship properly, it can bring...
If you are in the long-distance relationship, you wanted to last until you get a chance to move in together. Here are some things you can do to make your long-distance relationship last: Talk to...